Builders Mutual provides insurance coverage exclusively to the construction industry. It’s not just our specialty—it’s all we do. Headquartered in North Carolina, our market includes the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. We grew out of the North Carolina Home Builders Association and continue to maintain strong partnerships with many industry associations.
Builders Mutual is endorsed by the North Carolina Home Builders Association. Policyholders in North Carolina must maintain an active membership with a local HBA.
The Job-Site Safety Institute (JSI) is a nonprofit organization founded by Builders Mutual that is dedicated to conducting safety research for residential and commercial job-sites. As the industry experts in construction insurance, Builders Mutual has a responsibility to support and lead the efforts of specialized industry research and education. Ultimately, the JSI will lead to fewer job-site injuries and the elimination of job-site fatalities.
Scroll down to view Builders Mutual's history to date.
- The North Carolina Home Builders Self Insurers Fund grows out of the North Carolina Home Builders Association (NCHBA) to provide affordable workers’ compensation coverage to its members.
- In its first year, the fund collects premiums totaling $845,000
- In its 10th year, the Fund and the NCHBA, alongside 30 other trade associations and employer groups, lead the way to bring meaningful and fundamental reform to the NC workers’ compensation system.
- The Fund membership reaches 8,000 members, and eligible members receive a policyholder dividend distribution totaling $3 million.
- In an effort to increase customer service levels, the Fund begins internal administration of underwriting and other policy services.
- Builders Mutual Insurance Company is incorporated and assumes all Fund business. All North Carolina policyholders must maintain NCHBA membership for coverage eligibility.
- Receive A.M. Best rating of A- (Excellent).
- Builders Mutual becomes the largest writer of workers’ compensation with a 7.8% market share and over $52M in premium.
- Buildersmutual.com is launched
- Builders Mutual begins offering comprehensive commercial coverage in addition to Workers’ Compensation.
- A.M. Best rating is upgraded to A (Excellent).
- Builders Mutual expands footprint to include SC, TN, and VA.
- Builders Online Business is introduced to give agents online access to quote and service policies
- Builders University is chartered and becomes the only institution of its kind in the industry, providing training and certification to policyholders, agents, and employees.
- Builders Mutual’s focus on “Service Outside the Box” pushes premium over $155M.
- Builders Mutual establishes the Builders First Center, bringing together the Raleigh-Wake HBA, the NCHBA, and Builders Mutual in one building.
- Builders Mutual creates the Trade Contractor program to diversify and broaden our offerings.
- Celebrate 25 years of safety and stability.
- Builders Mutual expands footprint to include GA, MD, MS, and DC.
- Builders Mutual partners with the NAHB to present the inaugural SAFE Awards during the International Building Show.
- Builders Mutual grows to $105M in premium and more than13,000 policyholders
- Appetite is expanded to include light commercial contractors.
- Builders Mutual partners with Safety Products Inc. to provide policyholders discounted safety equipment.
- Customer Contact Center is launched as a single point of contact for all agent and policyholder inquires.
- Builders Mutual becomes a Premier Partnership of the HBA of SC.
- Builders Mutual footprint expands to include FL.
- Builders Mutual celebrates 30th anniversary with more than 700 agencies, over 19,000 policyholders, and more than $230M in premium.
- Builders Online Business is introduced for policyholders to make payments, report claims, and view policies.
- Builders Mutual becomes a Premier Partner with the HBA in Virginia.
- Builders Mutual initially funds the Job-Site Safety Institute (JSI), a nonprofit dedicated to improving safety and protecting lives through residential and commercial job-site safety research.
- Builders Mutual launches WorkSafe to train the influx of new workers on the basics of safety before they step on the job-site.
- Builders Mutual establishes internal claims department
- Brand refresh with a new visual identity and voice is complete.
- Builders Mutual provides coverage for more than 21,000 policyholders through a network of more than 4,000 sales agents.
- Builders Mutual supports the annual OSHA’s Stand Down initiative with job-site training focusing on fall protection.
- Builders Mutual becomes the NAHB’s official Safety Sponsor.
- Builders Mutual grows to $341 million in premium, more than 23,500 policyholders and 350 employees.
- Builders Mutual sponsors the inaugural IBS Jobsite Safety Zone to spotlight the latest workplace safety solutions.
- Builders Mutual launches Put Your Guard Up, a safety movement to protect workers from injuries resulting from improper use or lack of guardrails.