At work with you
There is no way to remove all the risks associated with construction. But at Builders Mutual, we are giving it our best effort. We work with you to reduce risks, prevent fines, and help your job go as smoothly as possible through safety education, risk management consulting, and complete insurance coverage.
Each and every day, we show up on the job-site, and beyond, so contractors can stand strong. Our drive to help our customers succeed is rooted in our purpose.
To protect and advance the unique needs of the contractor community.
Swipe or use the arrows to explore our company timeline.
- The North Carolina Home Builders Self Insurers Fund grows out of the North Carolina Home Builders Association (NCHBA) to provide affordable workers’ compensation coverage to its members.
- In its first year, the fund collects premiums totaling $845,000
- In its 10th year, the Fund and the NCHBA, alongside 30 other trade associations and employer groups, lead the way to bring meaningful and fundamental reform to the NC workers’ compensation system.
- The Fund membership reaches 8,000 members, and eligible members receive a policyholder dividend distribution totaling $3 million.
- In an effort to increase customer service levels, the Fund begins internal administration of underwriting and other policy services.
- Builders Mutual Insurance Company is incorporated and assumes all Fund business. All North Carolina policyholders must maintain NCHBA membership for coverage eligibility.
- Receive A.M. Best rating of A- (Excellent).
- Builders Mutual becomes the largest writer of workers’ compensation with a 7.8% market share and over $52M in premium.
- Buildersmutual.com is launched
- Builders Mutual begins offering comprehensive commercial coverage in addition to Workers’ Compensation.
- A.M. Best rating is upgraded to A (Excellent).
- Builders Mutual expands footprint to include SC, TN, and VA.
- Builders Online Business is introduced to give agents online access to quote and service policies
- Builders University is chartered and becomes the only institution of its kind in the industry, providing training and certification to policyholders, agents, and employees.
- Builders Mutual’s focus on “Service Outside the Box” pushes premium over $155M.
- Builders Mutual establishes the Builders First Center, bringing together the Raleigh-Wake HBA, the NCHBA, and Builders Mutual in one building.
- Builders Mutual creates the Trade Contractor program to diversify and broaden our offerings.
- Celebrate 25 years of safety and stability.
- Builders Mutual expands footprint to include GA, MD, MS, and DC.
- Builders Mutual partners with the NAHB to present the inaugural SAFE Awards during the International Building Show.
- Builders Mutual grows to $105M in premium and more than 13,000 policyholders.
- Appetite is expanded to include light commercial contractors.
- Builders Mutual partners with Safety Products Inc. to provide policyholders discounted safety equipment.
- Customer Contact Center is launched as a single point of contact for all agent and policyholder inquires.
- Builders Mutual becomes a Premier Partnership of the HBA of SC.
- Builders Mutual footprint expands to include FL.
- Builders Mutual celebrates 30th anniversary with more than 700 agencies, over 19,000 policyholders, and more than $230M in premium.
- Builders Online Business is introduced for policyholders to make payments, report claims, and view policies.
- Builders Mutual becomes a Premier Partner with the HBA in Virginia.
- Builders Mutual initially funds the Job-Site Safety Institute (JSI), a nonprofit dedicated to improving safety and protecting lives through residential and commercial job-site safety research.
- Builders Mutual launches WorkSafe to train the influx of new workers on the basics of safety before they step on the job-site.
- Builders Mutual establishes internal claims department
- Brand refresh with a new visual identity and voice is complete.
- Builders Mutual provides coverage for more than 21,000 policyholders through a network of more than 4,000 sales agents.
- Builders Mutual supports the annual OSHA’s Stand Down initiative with job-site training focusing on fall protection.
- Builders Mutual becomes the NAHB’s official Safety Sponsor.
- Builders Mutual grows to $341 million in premium, more than 23,500 policyholders and 350 employees.
- Builders Mutual sponsors the inaugural IBS Jobsite Safety Zone to spotlight the latest workplace safety solutions.
- Builders Mutual launches Put Your Guard Up, a safety movement to protect workers from injuries resulting from improper use or lack of guardrails.
A partnership built on purpose
In the early 1980s, builders in North Carolina had difficulty accessing affordable Workers’ Compensation insurance. For this reason, the North Carolina Home Builders Association (NCHBA) established a self-insured fund for its members. When it was created, HBA membership was a key requirement for all policyholders. Nearly 15 years later, the fund evolved into an independent mutual insurance company, and Builders Mutual was born.
Over the years, we have expanded into additional states and established partnerships with various industry associations. However, we never lose sight of our roots. Builders Mutual remains exclusively dedicated to the construction industry, and we understand the value of an HBA membership. Through the years Builders Mutual has been actively involved with the HBA — from participating in legislative initiatives in our nation’s Capital, to grassroots community outreach. We were founded by members, and we’re here to insure eligible members.
Builders Mutual maintains Premier Partnerships with the HBA of FL, HBA of SC, HBA of TN and the HBA of Virginia. In these relationships, Builders Mutual assists in sponsoring and promoting the great work of the associations for the construction industry.
- Rick Judson, Chairman
Evergreen Group, LLC
David Stormont, Vice Chairman
Storm Coast Homes, LLC
Kitty Hawk, NC
Erik A. Anderson, Secretary
Winston Salem, NC
- Andy Betts
General Counsel, North Carolina Home Builders Association
- Michael S. Enscore
The Veritas Group, Inc
- Gary Embler
Niblock Development Corp.
Willard "Buddy" Hughes
Insulated Concrete, Inc.
- Mark Martin
Sandmark Custom Homes, Inc.
Kitty Hawk, NC
- Brian Pace
Pace Development Group
- Randy Screen
- Michael Gerber, CBIA
President/Chief Executive Officer
- Ross Fowler, CPCU, CBIA
- Brad Moock, CPCU, CLU, CBIA
Vice President/Business Development
- Ken Bunn, AIC, PMP
Vice President of Claims
- Keith Goad, MBA, CVA
Chief Financial Officer
Michele Hemric, SPHR, PCC, CBIA
Assistant Vice President/Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness
- Sherman McCoy
Assistant Vice President/Business Operations
- Jesus Unzueta
Assistant Vice President/IT
- Jodi Vedelli, CBIA
Assistant Vice President/Strategy
Chris Wetzel, FCAS, MAAA
Assistant Vice President/Actuarial Services
Melissa Williard, CIC, CBIA
Assistant Vice President/Underwriting
- Susan Lenhart
- Jeff Beatty
Director of Underwriting
- Lindsay Beavers
Director of Marketing
- Dan Carroll
Director of Large Market Accounts & Products
Lori Caldwell, AIC, CRIS, CBIA
Director of Claims Operations & Commercial Claims
- Jeff Flood
Director of Project Services
- Joe Frazier
Director of IT Business Solutions
- Tina Hill, CBIA
Director of Claims, WC
Jeff Lenhart, CPCU, SCLA, CLMP, AIC
Director of Claims, Litigation
- Daniel Marek
Director of Analytics
- Rob Matuga
Director of Industry Affairs
Melissa Piercy, AIC, CPCU, CBIA
Director of Learning & Development
- Lonnie D. Platt, ARM, AIS, CBIA
Director of Risk Management
- Todd Quilici
Director of IT Infrastructure
- Alice Rockwell, APA, CRIS
Director of Premium Audit
- Lauren VanLandingham
Director of Sales
- Stephen Vore, CPA, CTP
Director of Treasury Services
We remain committed to maintaining a solid financial base. For a complete summary of Builders Mutual’s financial history, review our most recent annual report, Workers’ Compensation safety dividend, and financial ratings from AM Best.